Required Skills to Enroll in Defenders Apprentices Camp
- Uses appropriate words and actions to express own desires and knows to ask for support from an adult.
- Considers the needs or interests of another child when there is a conflict, can come up with 1 solution to solve a problem.
- Understands and follows social rules and routines to refrain from acting impulsively with not more than 1-3 reminders from an adult.
- Notices other people’s moods and feelings and attempts to address the emotions with some support from an adult
- Understands and uses structured turn-taking procedures, including rules and cues during games
- Engages in simple conversations with some adult support
- Understands two step instructions and requests that are familiar and can ask for clarifications if needed.
Target Skills and Concepts
This group offers opportunity for children to learn to solve conflicts, talk it out and to know about their feelings. We teach social skills through fun, exciting activities! The following areas are emphasized in this camp:
- We discuss social expectations of friendships by role playing and modeling
- We define the different levels of friendships (acquaintances, casual friends, best friends etc.)
- We encourage active and reflective body language and understanding of subtle para-verbal
- We learn how to show interest in other people’s conversation, and how to shift topics
- We assist the students in communicating effectively
- We are taught how get our points across and how to use reasoning skills effectively
- We practice skills in the community engaging in fun adventures such as, shopping and baking
adventures, water day, science and adventure, make and take etc.
Who should Enroll in this Camp?
This group is for children ranging in age from 5 to 8 years-old needing help with social skills and language development. We group kids according to age and skills level.
- The groups are ratio of 5-6 kids, 2-3 typical and 3-4 kids needing social skills support (Groups cannot exceed 6 kids).
- Parents are welcome to attend field trips, but they cannot participate with kids as we are attempting to foster independence and problem solving
- We offer each group in two sessions, lessons will change if the same campers enroll in both sessions.