Click below to register and view Apprentice activities
- Begins to understand and express humor in an attempt to entertain peers
- Sometimes uses cohesive language to persuade/dissuade in group activities or tasks
- Knows how to sometimes express support and console others with some support
- Begins to understand how to politely offer help and request help during group activities
- Knows how to engage in conversations of various topics with some support.
This group offers opportunity for children to learn to solve conflicts, talk it out and to know about their feelings. We teach social skills through fun, exciting activities! The following areas are emphasized in this camp:
- We engage in social community activities such as raising money for their field trip. Activities could be photography work, car wash, bake sale etc., based on what the students in the group choose as their theme.
- We role play “Unspoken Social Rules , para-verbal and non-verbal skills, and increase “Social Self- Monitoring (SSM).”
- We encourage the students to apply Reflective Reasoning, (RR) in “sticky situations.” This means learning to understand the intended meaning, being open-minded, recognizing the problem and applying different social thinking skills to solve the problem.
- Conversations! Conversational strategy is another major concept taught in this class. We use strategies to encourage participants to use language to initiate conversations, resolve conflicts, and understand teasing behaviors in peer relationships. We encourage the participants to use language to alter their peer’s position about a problem.
- We work on different levels of friendship, teasing behaviors!
Who should Enroll in this Camp?
This group is for children ranging in age from 11+ to 15 years-old needing help with social skills and language development. We group kids according to age and skills level.
- The groups are ratio of 5-6 kids, 2-3 typical and 3-4 kids needing social skills support (Groups cannot exceed 6 kids).
- Parents are welcome to attend field trips, but they cannot participate with kids as we are attempting to foster independence and problem solving
- We offer each group in two sessions, lessons will change if the same campers enroll in both sessions.